Oct 22, 2012

Open sourcing my Android App. Go, grab it, and do something good with it.

If you've been following my blog, you already know that some time ago I was working on an Android application. Its main goal was satisfying a personal need: I was super-frustrated that there was nothing for the Android platform that let me take a quick glance at the stock market. Personally I'm a stock junkie, and I love to check stocks 20 times a day. Not having a simple app to do it was really painful.

So I did it myself. Just like I wanted. When I published it, I called it "Stocktile", but internally "Longhorn" was its name.

And God knows I loved the result! It was quick, easy to use, and beautiful for my taste. I made it rock-solid and took special care of every detail I could imagine. Since day one I used it 20 times a day until I bought an iPhone 5... iOS comes with a pre-installed stock application so I won't be working on an iOS version of mine any time soon.

So now I'm not going to use Longhorn anymore. The application is already in Google Play and the Amazon Marketplace, but I felt like I wasn't done with it. I really like it and I'd like a better life for it.

So that's why I decided to open source it. Click below to go to my GitHub account and grab it:

Download Stocktile (Longhorn) source code here.

Yup, you can download the code, re-compile it, change it, and do whatever you want with it (well, at least whatever the Apache License version 2 let's you do with it).

To give you a preview of what cool stuff you'll find:
  • Drag and drop (for Android 4.0+)
  • Search autocomplete 
  • Talk to search
  • Automatic market updates
  • Battery optimization techniques (Read more about this here)
  • Support all the way up from Android 2.2
  • A very nice UI layout
  • Gracefully handling device orientations 
  • And way more stuff... 
For me it was a real pleasure to work on this app. I hope you can use the code to make something amazing. If that's the case, let me know. I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment